Mozart: Le Nozze di Figaro - Cotrubas, Van Dam, Tomowa-Sintow, Von Stade, Krause, Bastin, Kélémen, Berbié; Karajan. Wien, 1977
Listen to a Sample:
- The star-power of this cast of Figaro is nothing short of dizzying.
- In the title role José van Dam is commanding, yet approachable. He is well-paired with Ileana Cotrubas's well-rounded Susanna. Both of them exude a natural charm without ever trying to come across as cute.
- Frederica von Stade's Cherubino abounds with youthful energy and depth of character.
- Anna Tomowa-Sintow offers some sublime, full-throated singing as the Countess.
- Unencumbered by the "rules" of period performance that conductors are obliged to follow today, Karajan lets the drama inform his musical choices, at times choosing tempi that are unexpected yet totally logical in the context of the story.
- None to mention