Wagner: Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg - Ridderbusch, Kollo, Janowitz, Schreier, Lagger, Meyer, Stolze; Karajan. Salzburg, 1975
Listen to a Sample:
- Herbert von Karajan finds an excellent ballance between youthful exuberance and whistful sentimentality in this near flawless performance of Meistersinger.
- René Kollo was particularly well-suited to the role of Walther von Stolzing, bringing both brash ardor and delicate lyricism to the role.
- Karl Ridderbusch's noble bass-baritone never tires throughout the very long evening.
- Gundula Janowitz is an ethereal Eva.
- The smaller roles are very well cast, including Peter Schreier as David, Kerstin Meyer as Magdalene and Gerhard Stolze in a cameo as the Night Watchman.
- None to mention.